Wednesday, March 21, 2007

A complaint free world

Our school was a sea of orange today, as we celebrated Harmony Day.

I felt a little at a lose end. My first library class didn't arrive for a lesson, because the Stage 1 students were doing rotating harmonious, orange activities. It was the first time in four consecutive Harmony Days that I haven't been up to my elbows in orange icing, Arnott's Arrowroot biscuits, and assorted lollies, to help the students make (and eat) "friendly face" bikkies. But I couldn't commit to an activity station because I had a Stage 2 class due at the halfway point. It was still fun to do a quick tour of all the (very orange) group activities.

Wearing an orange rabbit Beanie Baby around my neck, I was telling any of the teachers who queried my choice of mascot that I'd always wanted a hare on my chest.

Speaking of colours: over at radio station MIX 106.5 FM, they were discussing an innovative website from Christ Church Unity in Kansas, USA, which offers free rubbery purple bracelets to promote the concept of a complaint free world.

Essentially, you wear the bracelet but, when you catch yourself complaining, gossiping or criticising, you move the bracelet to the other arm and begin again. If you hear someone else who is wearing a bracelet complain, you may point out their need to switch the bracelet to the other arm, but... you have to switch your own bracelet first. After 21 complaint-free days you are supposed to find that "your entire life is happier, more loving, more positive and more abundant".

In typical Sammy Power style, MIX's morning announcer said, "I'm going to tell them that I don't like purple."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello, Therin :D Hey, I saw the age in your profile switching from 47 to 48! When was your birthday?

Therin of Andor said...

G'day again, luana. My birthday was December 14, so the profile's agesdate should have clicked over then.

Anonymous said...

Lol. so maybe it was an error of the script or of my browser :) Well, thanks for telling me ^^ So next time I'll send you an Happy Birthday email ;)