Monday, July 20, 2009

Six times dizzy?

#71

Just back from viewing #6 of the Star Trek movie at Glenbrook, in the lower Blue Mountains. Still just as good as the last five times. I got to meet Sam (pictured!), my email penpal (of over a decade!) and a fellow Playtrek listserv member - and he loved his first screening of the new movie. (He drove two hours to get there, and another two hours home. I was coming from the other direction.)

While I loved "Star Trek: The Motion Picture" both in 1979 and 2009, many other fans complained bitterly, in those months after TMP's premiere, that it was slow and plodding (they called it "Star Trek: The Motionless Picture"), but many have come to an (almost-begrudging) appreciation of the film. Boosted along by the DVD-DE ("Director's Edition"), of course, but the film is no longer derided with the same gusto as in the early 80s.

With today's sixth viewing of JJ's ST, I think I've made as many return visits to this film as I did to TMP in 1980. It was as engaging to me, this time, as it was the first time I saw it. It is thoroughly entertaining, with so much rich detail that I see something new every time.

Kinda like TMP - where it took me two viewings to even notice the alien ambassadors (San Francisco) and crewmembers (rec deck) who were depicted in my glossy cinema program - remember those? - and then four viewings just to find all five Andorians!

JJ's ST is probably more entertaining than TMP, although nostalgia wins out so it doesn't displace TMP on my ultimate list. But I can see this movie staying popular over time - at least until the next one kicks its arse. We'll see.

No comments: