Thursday, September 03, 2009

Progeny?

#116

One of the students at school brought in her baby "Sea World" polar bear to visit with Bear and Chook. (We wondered if it hatched out of an egg?)

Meanwhile...

ticket

Flipping through some old photo albums this week, I noticed that today was exactly 28 years since the Seven Network in Australia bought the rights to rerun Star Trek - for the first time the entire series was to be aired here in colour!

I'd quite forgotten that the gala costumed event was scheduled for so late at night! I do recall that the people leaving the last screening for the day of "Clash of the Titans" at Sydney's beautiful old State Theatre, only to find the foyer filling up with Star Trek aliens, ASTREX members and USS Enterprise officers.

The episodes chosen were a bit of a secret Although the plan had been to screen "The City on the Edge of Forever" and "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield", if I recall the fliers correctly, it turned out to be "The Menagerie", Parts I & II, on the big screen. I was a little disappointed because I'd only just bought those two episodes on Betamax, while the other two episodes were not available commercially Down Under.

Redshirt Therin
Therin of Andor at the State Theatre (1981).

(Yeah, those are two baby tribbles perched on my right shoulder, and I'm also wearing a silver Enterprise pendant! The Polaroid camera bag was a very useful Starfleet accessory for Andorians allergic to Retinax 5 - a reference we wouldn't even know until the highly-anticipated release of "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan" in the same venue just under a year later!)

No comments: